Blackhat search engine optimisation (SEO) techniques describe the process by which individuals trick the search engines into ranking one of their malicious web pages high up in the search engine result listings.
These techniques have been used aggressively by malware authors because they provide a very effective way of controlling user web traffic:
- use a kit to create the keyword-rich web SEO pages on popular topics
- search engine bots then index these pages
- users searching for these topics end up with links to the rogue SEO pages high up in the search engine results
- user clicks on one of the rogue links
- the SEO kit immediately redirects the user to the malicious web site